Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oh my, oh my, oh my ovaries

The last few days have been pretty unpleasant, and for an entirely new reason than our other recent discomforts. I have been suffering a pain in the area that I can only assume is my ovaries, I can't say I have a perfect picture in my head as to the exact location of those little guys. But if I had to make an educated guess, my left ovary has been killing me. It started out as a general discomfort, the whole of my lower abdomen seemed uncomfortable and bloated. Things escalated the next day to the point that I became concerned enough to concede to a trip to Urgent Care. I am pretty conservative in seeking out medical care, it's not that I have any distrust or dislike of doctors themselves. I just don't care for the hassle of seeing a doctor when generally things get better with a little time and rest. So for me to actually go to Urgent Care was pretty unusual, I really was in pain. We saw the doctor with relatively little to-do and he seemed to think I had suffered a ruptured ovarian cyst. I wasn't too surprised to hear this, I had came to the same conclusion in self-diagnosing via the internet. He prescribed some vicodin, an anti-inflammatory and an ultrasound to be performed the following day to ensure nothing else was amiss. I went home and dutifully took my doses, the vicodin knocked me out within minutes. Things would have been fine if they had continued like this, unfortunately this was not the case. Me and vicodin don't mix apparently, as became violently apparent the next day after another dose and two upchucks later. I was miserable. I still had the pain in my ovaries but I refused to take any more pain medication because of what they were doing to my stomach. Of course I wasn't sure at the time that this was the reason for my stomach revolting, so we went back to the Urgent Care, which then sent me to the emergency room, which ultimately led us to spend nigh on five hours waiting just to be told that my ultrasound showed nothing out of the ordinary. Thank you, goodbye. I'm still feeling pretty uncomfortable, though at least today I was lucid and not losing my lunch. I am reassured in knowing atleast that things down there are all in fine working order. BL, who is well aware of my general distaste for receiving medical care, told me that if only my other ills were tied in to my reproductive health I would have seen them taken care of long ago. Sad but true, there are very few things on my person that I value as much as my uterus and it's tagalongs. I think the whole experience was just scary in the fact that I was worried that something seriously wrong had happened down there. For now I will just be thinking happy ovary thoughts and self-medicating with some tried-and-true tylenol.

3 comments:

kristine said...

I'm sorry your pain is/was so bad. i wonder what is wrong. Hopefully the pain subsides - SOON!

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

Oh my gosh! i hope everything feels better very soon, or is maybe already better as i type this.

Pregnantly Plump said...

That sounds awful. I hope you feel better soon.